What is endocrinology?
Endocrinology is the study of the endocrine glands or “internal secretion glands”. These include B. the thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal glands, pituitary gland, and pancreas. Together with the glands that produce the sex hormones in men and women and a large number of other hormone-producing cells, e.g. B. in the gastrointestinal tract and in fat tissue, they are responsible for the hormonal regulation of all organ functions in our body. Hormones are vital messenger substances in our organism, which contribute significantly to our well-being.
Not only rare hormone diseases, but also so-called “common diseases” fall into the field of the endocrinologist: osteoporosis, diabetes, goiter or enlarged thyroid, hormonal changes in old age. Hormonal imbalances play a role in a variety of diseases, such B. rheumatism, in pediatrics (growth disorders) and reproductive medicine (infertility), high blood pressure, bone metabolism, a role. For this reason, the field of endocrinology is a very broad field and the endocrinologist is a specialist in many fields of medicine.
What is an endocrinologist?
An endocrinologist is a specialist in internal medicine. He mainly deals with hormones and is therefore specialized in the prevention, diagnosis, therapy and research of hormonal diseases and functional disorders. Since endocrine hormones affect almost the entire body, the field of the endocrinologist is not so easy to define. Rather, he intervenes in the individual departments and tries to recognize interactions and overall connections. In addition to hormones, the treatment of metabolic diseases and nutritional medicine also fall into the field of the endocrinologist.
What does the endocrinologist do? Diagnosis & Treatment
At the beginning of the diagnosis, there is a detailed anamnesis , i.e. the conversation between doctor and patient in which important information is requested. Questions such as:
- What are the complaints?
- Since when and in what form do they appear?
- Are there any other complaints?
- Are medications being taken and if so, which ones?
- Stimulation of a gland : This is used when an underactive gland is suspected. An example would be the ACTH short test for suspected renal cortical insufficiency, which can be carried out for cortisol, for example.
- Inhibition of a gland : An inhibition, i.e. a delay or inhibition of the course of a chemical reaction by added substances (so-called ‘inhibitors’), is carried out if an overactive gland is suspected. An example would be a dexamethasone inhibition test, which is carried out if Cushing’s syndrome is suspected.
- Imaging processes : These include ultrasound, scintigraphy, CT or punctures. A distinction is made between morphological and functional representations. Morphological would be, for example, a thyroid sonography (a radiological procedure that uses ultrasound waves to make the morphology of internal organs and structures visible) to show a reduction in the size of the organ. On the other hand, a thyroid scintigraphy (a nuclear medical examination method) would be functional if thyroid autonomy is suspected (i.e. parts of the thyroid gland become independent, which limits its regular functions).
If you find yourself to be in a situation where finding the best endocrinologist surgeon melbourne gets difficult, then we are here to help you out with this. Below is a list of the top Endocrinologist Melbourne. To help you find the best Endocrinologist Melbourne located near to you, we put together our own list based on patient reviews.
This article is updated every 1-2 months.
⇒ Dr Ada Cheung
Dr Ada Cheung is a leading specialist consultant Endocrinologist providing comprehensive, accessible, state-of-the-art endocrine care for those living in Melbourne as well as rural Australia in close collaboration with local GPs. She welcomes any General Endocrine referrals in adult patients.
- consultant Endocrinologist
⇒ Dr MayLea Ong
Dr MayLea Ong practices evidence-based medicine by consolidating her own clinical expertise with the best available clinical evidence. However, she also believes that every patient is different, and therefore investigations and treatment options are personalised to each of her patient’s needs and background. She is well experienced in endocrinologist melbourne thyroid.
- diabetes, thyroid disorders
- osteoporosis, parathyroid disorders
- calcium metabolism, adrenal and pituitary disorders
Phone: (03) 9304 7333
⇒ Dr Jason Galanos
Dr Jason Galanos is in full time, private, clinical practice. He is accredited at St Vincent’s, Epworth and Cabrini Private Hospitals, providing inpatient endocrine care. Dr Jason Galanos has a keen interest in all aspects of Endocrinology, including the use of pumps, and advanced technologies in the field of continuous glucose monitoring, in the management of diabetic patients.
- All aspects of Endocrinologist
⇒ Dr. Simon Forehan
Dr. Simon Forehan is the medical director of The Thyroid Endocrinologist Melbourne Centre. He is a graduate of Flinders University of South Australia and completed his specialist training in Adelaide and Melbourne. He has dual training in Endocrinology and General Medicine, and was admitted as a Fellow of The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) in 2004.
- Consultant Endocrinologist
- Thyroid ultrasound
⇒ Dr Camela Caputo
Dr Camela Caputo commenced consulting in 2008, and her clinical and research interest is in the area of Pituitary diseases. Having undertook endocrine training in London and returning to Australia in 2008 as clinical fellow at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne, she continues in the Pituitary clinic and undertakes clinical research.
- All aspects of Endocrinology
⇒ Dr Ingrid Bretherton
Dr Ingrid Bretherton is a Melbourne based Endocrinologist providing comprehensive care in all areas of general endocrinology and diabetes. Dr. Bretherton also interest in transgender endocrinologist melbourne. Dr Bretherton is a Consultant Endocrinologist and has appointments at Austin Health, Western Health, Monash Health and Northern Health and works in private practice.
- All aspects of general endocrinology and diabetes
- Transgender medicine and treating endocrine and diabetes issues during pregnancy
⇒ Dr Sara Baqar
Dr Sara Baqar is an Australian-based health professional. Sara is trained as an Endocrinologist and has a practice located in Preston. She is one of the best endocrinologist thyroid melbourne in australia.
- Diabetes mellitus, gestational diabetes
- Insulin pump management, managing diabetes patients during religious fasting
- Thyroid disease, thyroid cancer, thyroid disease in pregnancy
Phone: (03) 9020 4524
⇒ Dr Natalie Marijanovic
Dr Natalie Marijanovic is a specialist endocrinology and diabetes physician. She completed medical degree at The University of Melbourne in 2005 and trained at The Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne Health) and at Western Health before undertaking her Endocrinology and Diabetes specialist training at Flinders Hospital in Adelaide, Monash Medical Centre and University Hospital Geelong.
- Diabetes physician