What is endocrinology?
Endocrinology is the study of the endocrine glands or “internal secretion glands”. These include B. the thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal glands, pituitary gland, and pancreas. Together with the glands that produce the sex hormones in men and women and a large number of other hormone-producing cells, e.g. B. in the gastrointestinal tract and in fat tissue, they are responsible for the hormonal regulation of all organ functions in our body. Hormones are vital messenger substances in our organism, which contribute significantly to our well-being.
Not only rare hormone diseases, but also so-called “common diseases” fall into the field of the endocrinologist: osteoporosis, diabetes, goiter or enlarged thyroid, hormonal changes in old age. Hormonal imbalances play a role in a variety of diseases, such B. rheumatism, in pediatrics (growth disorders) and reproductive medicine (infertility), high blood pressure, bone metabolism, a role. For this reason, the field of endocrinology is a very broad field and the endocrinologist is a specialist in many fields of medicine.
What is an endocrinologist?
An endocrinologist is a specialist in internal medicine. He mainly deals with hormones and is therefore specialized in the prevention, diagnosis, therapy and research of hormonal diseases and functional disorders. Since endocrine hormones affect almost the entire body, the field of the endocrinologist is not so easy to define. Rather, he intervenes in the individual departments and tries to recognize interactions and overall connections. In addition to hormones, the treatment of metabolic diseases and nutritional medicine also fall into the field of the endocrinologist.
What does the endocrinologist do? Diagnosis & Treatment
At the beginning of the diagnosis, there is a detailed anamnesis , i.e. the conversation between doctor and patient in which important information is requested. Questions such as:
- What are the complaints?
- Since when and in what form do they appear?
- Are there any other complaints?
- Are medications being taken and if so, which ones?
- Stimulation of a gland : This is used when an underactive gland is suspected. An example would be the ACTH short test for suspected renal cortical insufficiency, which can be carried out for cortisol, for example.
- Inhibition of a gland : An inhibition, i.e. a delay or inhibition of the course of a chemical reaction by added substances (so-called ‘inhibitors’), is carried out if an overactive gland is suspected. An example would be a dexamethasone inhibition test, which is carried out if Cushing’s syndrome is suspected.
- Imaging processes : These include ultrasound, scintigraphy, CT or punctures. A distinction is made between morphological and functional representations. Morphological would be, for example, a thyroid sonography (a radiological procedure that uses ultrasound waves to make the morphology of internal organs and structures visible) to show a reduction in the size of the organ. On the other hand, a thyroid scintigraphy (a nuclear medical examination method) would be functional if thyroid autonomy is suspected (i.e. parts of the thyroid gland become independent, which limits its regular functions).
If you find yourself to be in a situation where finding the best perth endocrinologist gets difficult, then we are here to help you out with this. Below is a list of the top Endocrinologist in Perth. To help you find the best Endocrinologist Perth WA located near to you, we put together our own list based on patient reviews.
This article is updated every 1-2 months.
⇒ Dr. Vijay Panicker
Dr. Vijay Panicker is an Australian-based health professional. Vijay is trained as an Endocrinologist and has a practice located in Perth. Dr Vijay Panicker treats all aspects of Adult Endocrinology including Diabetes Mellitus. He doesn’t take on Paediatric patients.
- Thyroid disease including thyroid cancer
- Pituitary disease
⇒ Dr Meg Henze
Dr Meg Henze is a specialist in Endocrinology based in Perth, Western Australia. She offers personalised, professional care to patients in Joondalup, Albany and Geraldton. Compassionate and dedicated, she is committed to patient care, teaching and research. Dr Meg Henze is one of the best female endocrinologist perth.
- All aspect of adult endocrinology and diabetes
- endocrine disorders of pregnancy and Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
Phone: 08 9468 8293
⇒ Dr Danish Mahmud
Dr Danish Mahmud is an Endocrinologist and General Physician and currently holds public hospital specialist appointment at the Armadale Health Service. Dr Mahmud is a compassionate and motivated physician and is a professional member of the Endocrine Society of Australia, Australian and New Zealand Obesity Society, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and Internal Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand.
- General Endocrinology
- Diabetes mellitus, Obesity and weight management
- Undifferentiated medical problems
⇒ Dr. Krishna Chikkaveerappa
Dr. Krishna Chikkaveerappa graduated from Bangalore (India) in 2000. He underwent physician and specialist endocrinology training in Liverpool (UK) and worked as a consultant in the UK. Dr Krish have fellowships from the UK, Ireland and Australia. He has a special interest in and holds post-graduate qualifications in teaching in clinical practice.
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- testosterone issues calcium problems and osteoporosis
- pituitary problems and PCOS
⇒ A/Prof Damon Bell
A/Prof Damon Bell gained his MB ChB from Otago University in 2000. He then undertook physician training in Wellington, New Zealand and specialised in Endocrinology, where he subsequently trained as a Chemical Pathologist. Damon was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia in 2009 and Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2010.
- Lipid disorders, endocrine hypertension and metabolism
⇒ Dr Jonathan Beilin
Dr Jonathan Beilin is an Australian-based health professional. Jonathan is trained as an Endocrinologist and has a practice located in Nedlands.
⇒ Dr Corinne Jones
Dr Corinne Jones is an experienced specialist surgeon offering a service dedicated to breast, thyroid and parathyroid surgery at St John of God Subiaco Hospital. Dr Jones graduated in Medicine from the University of Western Australia (UWA) in 1989. After training in Perth teaching hospitals, she obtained her Fellowship in General Surgery from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) in 1998.
- Endocrine Surgery
- Breast Surgery
⇒ Dr Imran Badshah
Dr Imran Badshah is a Consultant Physician & Endocrinologist . He works at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and Joondalup Health Campus. He graduated from Khyber Medical College Peshawar, Pakistan, in 2006. He underwent basic physician training in internal medicine in New Zealand and Australia. Dr.Badshah completed Advanced training in Endocrinology and Diabetes at Sir Charles Gairdner and Fiona Stanley Hospital, Perth. He was awarded fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in Endocrinology in 2017.
- General Medicine
Phone: 08 6166 3758
⇒ Dr Mark Lee
Dr Mark Lee is a General Physician with a special interest in Diabetes and Endocrinology. Dr Lee started Murdoch Physician Services with a vision to provide a comprehensive, high quality medical service that is easily accessible to the community. As a General Physician, his passion is to care for patients presenting with undifferentiated symptoms or multiple medical problems that involve more than a single organ system.
- Diabetes and Endocrinology
- General Medicine