What is ENT specialist?
An ENT specialist (otorhinolaryngologist) is a doctor who specialises in diseases that affect the ears, nose and throat, as well as the head and neck. ENT specialists are not only medical doctors who can treat your sinus headache, your child’s swimmer’s ear, or your dad’s sleep apnea. They are also surgeons who can perform extremely delicate operations to restore hearing of the middle ear, open blocked airways, remove head, neck, and throat cancers, and rebuild these essential structures. This requires an additional five to eight years of intensive, post-graduate training beyond medical school. An otolaryngologist, also called an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor, specializes in the care and treatment of the area below the brain and above the lungs (except for the eyes).
What Conditions Do ENTs Treat?
General otolaryngologists do not limit their practice to any one portion of the head and neck, and can treat a variety of conditions. Some ENT specialists, however, pursue additional training in one of these subspecialty areas:
- Conditions of the ear. You may need to see an ear, nose, and throat doctor if you have an ear disorder or condition, such as a hearing impairment, ear infections, disorders that affect balance, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), or pain in your ear. ENT specialists can also treat congenital disorders of the ear (disorders you were born with).
- Conditions of the nose. ENT specialists often manage and treat problems that affect the nose, nasal cavity, and sinuses. These problems can affect smell, breathing, and physical appearance.
- Conditions of the throat. Disorders and conditions that affect the throat can affect speech, singing, eating, swallowing, and digestion. ENT specialists can diagnose, manage, and treat these problems.
- ENT-related conditions of the head and neck. ENT specialists are trained to manage diseases, tumors, trauma, and deformities of the head, neck, and face. ENT specialists can perform cosmetic and reconstructive surgery in these areas. They can also manage problems with the nerves in the head and neck that control sight, smelling, hearing, and facial movements.
If you find yourself to be in a situation where finding the best ent specialists Adelaide gets difficult, then we are here to help you out with this. Below is a list of the best adelaide ent specialists. To help you find the best ent surgeons adelaide located near you, we put together our own list based on patient reviews.
This article is updated every 1-2 months.
⇒ Dr Sharad Chawla
Dr Sharad Chawla is a highly trained and accredited Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon with Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) fellowship training in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. Dr Chawla is best ent specialist in adelaide. Dr Chawla completed his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 1997 and went on to pursue specialist training in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery. He achieved his Master of Surgery in Otorhinolaryngology in 2002, prior to relocating to Australia. He then continued his advanced surgical training in South Australia and was awarded the Fellowship in Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery by RACS in 2012.
- Surgery for chronic ear infection
- Hearing restorative surgery including cochlear implant
- Lateral skull base surgery, General ENT – Paediatric and adult
⇒ Professor A. Simon Carney
Professor A. Simon Carney is one of Australia’s leading Academic ENT Surgeons. He graduated from Edinburgh University Medical School in 1989 with distinction in Surgery. He trained as a registrar in ENT Surgery in Nottingham and undertook Fellowships in both Head & Neck Surgery and Rhinology in Adelaide and New York. In 1998, he was awarded the Gold Medal by The Royal Society of Medicine for the top candidate in the UK final ENT Fellowship examination. He is Professor of ENT Surgery at Flinders University and was awarded his Doctorate for pioneering research into molecular changes in the nasal mucosa that precede the development of “hay-fever”. Professor A. Simon Carney is best ent specialist adelaide.
- Head & Neck Surgery
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Pediatric ENT and snoring and sleep apnoea
⇒ Dr Leslie Shaw
Dr Leslie Shaw manages both paediatric and adult ENT condition. He has special interest in paediatric ENT, Rhinology, clinical research, teaching and medical education. Dr Shaw does not see patients for Work Cover, third party compensation claim or cosmetic surgery. Dr Shaw speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin. Dr Shaw is the Head of ENT Dept of Modbury Hospital and also a senior visiting specialist at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital and Modbury Hospital. He can arrange surgical treatment for uninsured patients directly at those two hospitals. Dr Shaw is highly experienced paediatric ent adelaide.
- paediatric ENT conditions, nasal and sinus diseases
- paediatric and adult endoscopic sinus Surgery
- paediatric and adult snoring and sleep apnoea surgery
⇒ Dr Suren Krishnan
Dr Suren Krishnan is a graduate of the University of Adelaide Medical School and an Otolaryngologist, Head and Neck Surgeon trained in the Adelaide Training Program. He received his fellowship in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1993 and was a Fellow at the Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford , United Kingdom in 1994. On his return from Oxford he was appointed Consultant Surgeon at The Royal Adelaide Hospital in Adelaide, South Australia and in private practice. He is currently Chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Dr Suren Krishnan is best ent adelaide.
- Head & Neck Surgery
- partial laryngeal surgery and trans-oral laser resection of oral
- oro-pharyngeal and laryngeal cancer
⇒ Dr Ian Wong
Dr Ian Wong is a senior visiting ENT specialist at the Adelaide Women’s and Children’s Hospital and Modbury Public Hospital. He has held these appointments since completing his training in 2008 and his practice encompasses both adult and paediatric ENT conditions. He also holds regular operating sessions at Parkwynd Hospital, Glenelg Community Hospital and Burnside Hospital. He serves as a member of the Medical Advisory Committee for Glenelg Community Hospital, and has been treasurer for the South Australian Branch of the Australian Society of Otolaryngogy and Head & Neck Surgery since 2010.
- minimally invasive surgery of the ear
- implantable hearing technologies, endoscopic ear surgery
- Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
⇒ Dr Suresh Rajapaksa
Dr Suresh Rajapaksa is an ent surgeon adelaide with a sub-specialty expertise and interest in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and the management of Nasal and Sinus disease in adults and children. He also has an interest in Paediatric ENT surgery, and maintains a general ENT practice. He was Senior Visiting Medical Specialist at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital until 2017, but now works full time in the Private system. He consults in North Adelaide and Angaston, and Operates at the Memorial Hospital in North Adelaide.
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- management of Nasal and Sinus disease in adults and children
- paediatric ENT practice, as manages general ENT condtions
⇒ Dr Kym Diamantis
Dr Diamantis ent adelaide – graduated from the University of Adelaide Medical School in 1985 and immediately commenced surgical training under the auspices of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He became a fellow of the college graduating as an Ear, Nose & Throat Surgeon/Head & Neck Surgeon in 1991, and indeed, was ranked second in the country at his fellowship exam. In 1992 Dr Diamantis worked as a senior registrar at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville South Australia and followed this with a visiting fellowship with Dr Gaylon McCollough in Birmingham Alabama, USA.
- cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty
- all aspects of sinonasal surgery, upper airway surgery
- all aspects of general paediatric ENT care
⇒ Dr. Alethea Grobler
Dr Grobler ent adelaide – Trained in ENT surgery in South Australia. Dr Grobler has an interest and expertise in the treatment of general ear, nose and throat problems. She has a particular interest in the management of hearing loss and inner ear conditions. She treats patients of all ages and welcomes paediatric referrals.
- Management of hearing loss and inner ear conditions
⇒ Dr John Ling
Dr John Ling has been practicing for the last 18 years. He operates from the Women’s & Children’s, St. Andrews and Parkwynd Hospitals and he also consults at 375 Goodwood Road, Westbourne Park everyday. Dr John Ling is a firm believer of understanding and managing your condition before surgery is even considered. Our practice has a referral base from all areas of South Australia and interstate. Dr Ling has a strong reputation for compassionate, conservative patient care, surgical expertise and outstanding service and availability to practitioners.
- paediatric ENT
⇒ Dr Kien Ha
Dr Kien Ha is a renowned Adelaide based Facial Plastic surgeon and Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) surgeon with a special interest in rhinoplasty, facelift surgery and facial plastic surgery. He is a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS). Dr Ha is a member of the Australian Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (ASOHNS), and The Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery (AAFPS).
- Nose and Sinus Surgery
- Rhinoplasty – cosmetic and functional
- Face and Neck Lift , Facial Plastic Surgery