What is rheumatology?
Rheumatology is a medical discipline that deals with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and research of diseases of the rheumatic type. Under the technical term “diseases of the rheumatic group” are summarized around 400 clinical pictures, which are colloquially referred to as “rheumatism” or “rheumatism”. Typical of rheumatism, which is also commonly referred to as a “widespread disease” because of its frequency, are symptoms of the musculoskeletal system, i.e. the bones and skeletal muscles as well as tendons and connective tissue, accompanied by pain and functional impairments. Metabolic disorders can also occur in connection with diseases of the rheumatic type.
The most well-known diseases the rheumatologist deals with include rheumatoid arthritis characterized by joint inflammation and stiffness (also known as “primary chronic polyarthritis (PCP)”), osteoarthritis due to degenerative processes (“joint wear and tear”) and Metabolic disorders caused by osteoporosis (“bone loss”) and gout.
While internal rheumatology is mostly about preserved (“conservative”) treatment methods and pain relief, the therapies of orthopedic rheumatology often focus on surgical measures and the adjustment of orthotics.
What is a rheumatologist?
The rheumatologist deals with the diagnosis and therapy of rheumatic diseases . Rheumatologists work in specialist practices or specialist clinics. They come from the fields of internal medicine, orthopedics or pediatric and adolescent medicine.
What does the rheumatologist do?
The rheumatologist’s range of treatments includes the following diseases:
- Wear-related or age-related rheumatic diseases such as osteoarthritis / gonarthrosis or, for example, degenerative spinal diseases such as facet joint osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune and intermittent chronic inflammation of various joints (polyarthritis)): Patients suffer from swollen, painful and deformed joints, especially in the fingers and hands.
- Psoriatic arthritis (autoimmune chronic inflammation of the joints that occurs in connection with psoriasis).
- Other chronic, autoimmune-related inflammatory diseases of the musculoskeletal system such as connective tissue diseases (collagenosis) and ankylosing spondylitis (chronic inflammatory and painful disease with stiffening of the spine).
- Fibromyalgia and other rheumatic diseases of the soft tissues.
- Gout and other metabolic disorders that lead to rheumatic complaints.
If you find yourself to be in a situation where finding the best perth rheumatologist gets difficult, then we are here to help you out with this. Below is a list of the top rheumatologist Perth WA. To help you find the best rheumatologist Perth located near to you, we put together our own list based on patient reviews.
This article is updated every 1-2 months.
⇒ Dr. Senq J Lee
Dr. Senq J Lee is a paediatric rheumatologist perth and general paediatrician. He sees all aspects of musculoskeletal medicine, including juvenile idiopathic arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, juvenile dermatomyositis, chronic pain disorders, hypermobility, and general paediatrics, except complex developmental and behavioural assessments.
⇒ Dr Chanakya Sharma
Dr Chanakya Sharma completed his medical degree at the University of Western Australia in 2009. He underwent advanced physician training in Rheumatology and General Medicine at various tertiary centres of excellence for five years. During this time he also conducted research on various topics including Inflammatory arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Vasculitis and Gout.
- Rheumatology and General Medicine
⇒ Dr Kevin J. Murray
Dr Kevin Murray rheumatologist perth – is a paediatric rheumatologist based at the Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH) and at the Child and Adolescent Rheumatology Service at Arthritis Australia Centre in Shenton Park. He is also the Head of Department of Rheumatology, Metabolic Medicine and Complex Pain services at PCH.
- Juvenile arthritis, Juvenile dermatomyositis
- SLE and vasculitis disorders and Hypermobility in childhood
⇒ Dr Patrick Hanrahan
Dr Patrick Hanrahan is an Australian-based health professional. Patrick is trained as a Rheumatologist and has a practice located in South Perth.
⇒ Dr Mark Reed
Dr Mark Reed rheumatologist perth – is an Australian-based health professional. Mark is trained as a Rheumatologist and has a practice located in Nedlands.
⇒ Dr Eugene Ang
Dr Eugene Ang rheumatologist perth – is a locally trained rheumatologist offering compreshensive rheumatological services. He first started his rheumatology practice in 2008. Dr Ang has worked in the Goatcher clinical trials unit as a consultant rheumatologist and at Royal Perth Hospital and he also does public country clinics in Kalgoorlie and visits regional Kalamunda.
⇒ Dr Ai Tran
Dr Tran rheumatologist perth – is an Australian-based health professional. Ai is trained as a Rheumatologist and has a practice located in Murdoch.
- Adult rheumatology, ultrasound for musculoskeletal assessment
- diagnosis and guided injections
⇒ Dr Nicola Cook
Dr Nicola Cook rheumatologist perth – is a rheumatologist at St John of God Subiaco Hospital. Dr Nicola Cook is an Australian-based health professional. Nicola is trained as a Rheumatologist and has a practice located in Shenton Park.
- Adult rheumatology, Osteoarthritis
- Connective tissue diseases
- Rheumatoid arthritis, Osteoporosis
⇒ Dr Charles Inderjeeth
Dr Charles Inderjeeth is an Australian-based health professional. Charles is trained as a Geriatrician (Aged Care Specialist), Rheumatologist and has 2 practices located in Subiaco, Nedlands.
- General Medicine
- General Rheumatology
⇒ Dr Margaret Mazur
Dr Margaret Mazur has a Medical Diploma from the Medical Academy, Wroclaw, Poland and undertook Australian Medical Council Examinations in Brisbane in 1994. She was awarded Fellowship of the RACP in 2008.
- all forms of inflammatory arthropathy