If you find yourself to be in a situation where finding the best rheumatologist specialist Sydney gets difficult, then we are here to help you out with this. Below is a list of the top rheumatologist Sydney. To help you find the best rheumatologist Sydney located near to you, we put together our own list based on patient reviews.
This article is updated every 1-2 months.
⇒ Dr Jeff Chaitow
Dr Jeff Chaitow completed his undergraduate medical training in South Africa and his paediatric and rheumatology training in Sydney. He is currently the Head of the Department of Paediatric Rheumatology at Sydney Children’s Hospital Network – incorporating Westmead and Randwick – a position he has held since its inception in 2012. Dr Jeff is one of the best pediatric rheumatologist sydney.
- Paediatric Rheumatology
- children with musculo-skeletal problems and autoimmune inflammatory disease
- children with pain caused by non inflammatory disease
⇒ Dr Davinder Singh-Grewal
Dr Davinder Singh-Grewal is a paediatric rheumatologist sydney with over 10 years of experience in the management of children with rheumatic diseases. He is currently appointed at all three children’s hospitals in New South Wales – The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, The Sydney Children’s Hospital at Randwick and The John Hunter Children’s Hospital in Newcastle – along with Liverpool Hospital in South Western Sydney.
- Management of children with rheumatic diseases
Phone: (02) 82124123
⇒ Dr Narainraj Kamalaraj
Dr Narainraj Kamalaraj Dr Narain is an accredited specialist rheumatologist in Sydney. He attends patients across Southwest & Southern Sydney from Campbelltown, Camden & Wollondilly Shires to St George & Sutherland Shires. Dr Narain has a strong committment to help you achieve improvements in your health and wellbeing by providing expertise in the field of autoimmune conditions and musculoskeletal disorders.
- diagnosis and management of chronic neck pain
- interventional cervical spine care
- radiofrequency neurotomy of the cervical spine
⇒ Dr Vivek Thakkar
Dr Vivek Thakkar is a Sydney based rheumatologist with expertise in treating arthritis, gout, pain, autoimmune conditions and osteoporosis.
- Arthritis, Osteoporosis
- Autoimmune diseases, Musculoskeletal problems
- Pulmonary Hypertension and Interstitial Lung Disease
Phone: 02 4647 0601
⇒ Dr Irwin Lim
Dr Irwin Lim, rheumatologist sydney parramatta nsw. Irwin’s job involves diagnosing and treating all sorts of diseases affecting muscles, bones, tendons, and joints. The simplest way to describe Irwin is an arthritis expert.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis, Spondyloarthritis
- Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis
⇒ A/Prof. Paul Bird
A/Prof. Paul Bird has over twenty years’ experience in treating rheumatic disease, with particular expertise in Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis and Ankylosing spondylitis. A/Professor Bird received his medical degree with Honours from the University of Newcastle, and he completed his physician and rheumatology training in Sydney.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
⇒ Dr Neil McGill
⇒ Dr Nick Benton
Dr Nick Benton is a Rheumatologist and specialist General Physician. He trained at St George’s Hospital, London and at Auckland City Hospital in New Zealand. He brings a wealth of broad clinical experience to the team and is particularly interested in early inflammatory arthritis, connective tissue disease and gout.
- inflammatory arthritis, connective tissue disease and gout
- musculoskeletal imaging
⇒ Dr Maxine Szramka
Dr Maxine Szramka is a Rheumatologist with a wealth of experience and expertise. She treats all Rheumatological conditions and has a special interest in the treatment of Gout and all forms of Arthritis including Ankylosing Spondylitis.
- ARTHRITIS, AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES
- BODY PAINS
⇒ Dr Loretta Reiter
Dr Loretta Reiter is an experienced and well respected Consultant Rheumatologist with particular interests in Musculoskeletal Medicine, Fibromyalgia and Sports Medicine. She is highly experienced in rheumatologist fibromyalgia sydney. She is skilled in providing Medico-legal assessments and reports.
- Rheumatology, Peripheral Nerve Lesions
- Muscoskeletal – Spine/Upper and Lower Limb
- Sports Medicine, Medico-legal Reports
What is rheumatology?
Rheumatology is a medical discipline that deals with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and research of diseases of the rheumatic type. Under the technical term “diseases of the rheumatic group” are summarized around 400 clinical pictures, which are colloquially referred to as “rheumatism” or “rheumatism”. Typical of rheumatism, which is also commonly referred to as a “widespread disease” because of its frequency, are symptoms of the musculoskeletal system, i.e. the bones and skeletal muscles as well as tendons and connective tissue, accompanied by pain and functional impairments. Metabolic disorders can also occur in connection with diseases of the rheumatic type.
The most well-known diseases the rheumatologist deals with include rheumatoid arthritis characterized by joint inflammation and stiffness (also known as “primary chronic polyarthritis (PCP)”), osteoarthritis due to degenerative processes (“joint wear and tear”) and Metabolic disorders caused by osteoporosis (“bone loss”) and gout.
While internal rheumatology is mostly about preserved (“conservative”) treatment methods and pain relief, the therapies of orthopedic rheumatology often focus on surgical measures and the adjustment of orthotics.
What is a rheumatologist?
The rheumatologist deals with the diagnosis and therapy of rheumatic diseases . Rheumatologists work in specialist practices or specialist clinics. They come from the fields of internal medicine, orthopedics or pediatric and adolescent medicine.
What does the rheumatologist do?
The rheumatologist’s range of treatments includes the following diseases:
- Wear-related or age-related rheumatic diseases such as osteoarthritis / gonarthrosis or, for example, degenerative spinal diseases such as facet joint osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune and intermittent chronic inflammation of various joints (polyarthritis)): Patients suffer from swollen, painful and deformed joints, especially in the fingers and hands.
- Psoriatic arthritis (autoimmune chronic inflammation of the joints that occurs in connection with psoriasis).
- Other chronic, autoimmune-related inflammatory diseases of the musculoskeletal system such as connective tissue diseases (collagenosis) and ankylosing spondylitis (chronic inflammatory and painful disease with stiffening of the spine).
- Fibromyalgia and other rheumatic diseases of the soft tissues.
- Gout and other metabolic disorders that lead to rheumatic complaints.