What is Vascular Surgery?
Vascular surgery describes the medical branch of surgery that deals with interventions on the human blood vessel system. Vascular constrictions (stenoses) and vasodilations (aneurysms) are the focus here. Surgical interventions, which can be performed preferably endovascularly (using catheter interventions), but also openly surgically (by exposing the surgical area), are often necessary on the abdominal aorta, the carotid arteries and the leg arteries. Subjects closely related to vascular surgery are phlebology and cardiac surgery.
The specialty of vascular and endovascular surgery includes the examination and treatment of disorders in the blood vessels. Blood vessel diseases are common and often serious health problems, especially in affluent society. The technical term endovascular surgery stands for the surgical treatment inside (“endo-”) the blood vessels (“vascular”). The term vascular surgery generally describes essentially the treatment of vessels by interventions.
The treatment of vascular surgical diseases takes place partly through operations such as z. B. the installation of a bypass. In vascular surgery, operations often only require small access routes (minimally invasive surgery) so that they can be carried out gently and without great impairment. In vascular and endovascular surgery, treatment with a catheter is used very often, in which, among other things, constrictions in the vessels can be expanded. Conservative treatment measures, i.e. treatments without intervention, can also be carried out in vascular and endovascular surgery.
What does a Vascular surgeon do?
The vascular surgeon treats blocked or dilated arteries all over the body as well as chronic venous diseases (for example varicose veins or deep vein thrombosis). The operations are also carried out preventively, for example to avoid a stroke, a loss of a leg or acute kidney failure, which leads to dialysis due to a blockage of the kidney vessels.
If you find yourself to be in a situation where finding the best Sydney vascular surgeon gets difficult, then we are here to help you out with this. Below is a list of the top and leading vascular surgeon in Sydney. To help you find the best vascular surgeon Sydney located near to you , we put together our own list based on patient reviews.
This article is updated every 1-2 months.
⇒Dr. Vikram Puttaswamy
Dr. Vikram Puttaswamy is a Consultant Vascular Surgeon who specialises in major and complex endovascular and vascular surgical procedures. He trained at Royal North Shore, Royal Melbourne and Westmead hospitals and has been practicing as a Vascular Surgeon since 2005 in the public and private sector.
- major and complex endovascular and vascular surgical procedures
⇒ Dr Michael Neale
Dr Michael Neale is an Australian-based health professional. Michael is trained as a Vascular Surgeon and has a practice located in St Leonards.
- Aortic surgery, Carotid surgery, Endovascular surgery
- Peripheral Arterial surgery, Trauma surgery, and Venous surgery
⇒ Prof Ramon L Varcoe
Prof Ramon L Varcoe is a vascular surgeon with a passion for minimally invasive techniques and thorough, personalised patient care. He is a leader in local and international vascular education as well as being the director of one of Australias most renowned clinical trial centres.
- Vascular Surgery
⇒ Dr Victor Bourke
Dr Victor Bourke is highly experienced in all aspects of vascular and endovascular surgery. Dr Victor Charles Bourke is a consultant Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon who practices in Sydney and on the Central Coast of NSW.
- Abdominal Aortic DiseaseThoracic Aortic Disease, Carotid artery disease
- Renal Artery disease, Venous disease including varicose veins
- Peripheral Vascular Disease, Vascular Medicine, Trauma surgery
⇒ Dr Robert Tang
Dr Robert Tang is an Australian-trained Vascular, Endovascular and Vascular Access Surgeon. He has appointments at Strathfield Private Hospital, Concord Repatriation General Hospital and Nepean Hospital. He Graduated with Medical Bachelor, Bachelor of Surgery from the University of Adelaide in 2006.
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Extracranial carotid disease
- Aortic stenting, Vascular access
Phone: 02 9161 1668
⇒ Dr Richard Harris
Dr Richard Harris is an Australian-based health professional. Richard is trained as a Vascular Surgeon and has a practice located in Hornsby. Dr Harris completed his pre-fellowship training at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK, and Royal North Shore Hospital.
- Minimally invasive Endovascular Surgery, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms
- Ballooning and Stenting of Arteries in the lower limbs
- Coiling of ovarian veins, Endovenous Ablation
⇒ Dr Lubomyr Lemech
Dr Lubomyr Lemech is a vascular, endovascular and renal transplant surgeon. Dr Lemech is the Supervisor of Vascular Surgery Training at St George Hospital. He is regularly involved in training vascular and general surgical trainees. He is a member of the Anatomy Subcommittee of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and teaches anatomy to trainees of all levels sitting their specialist exams.
- Aortic, Carotid, Endovascular
- Peripheral Arterial, Trauma, Vascular, and Renal Transplant Surgeries
⇒ Dr Delfino Di Mascio
Dr Delfino Di Mascio is an Australian-based health professional. Delfino is trained as a Vascular Surgeon and has 3 practices located in Bella Vista, Westmead, Liverpool.
- Aneurysms (abdominal and thoracic aortic, peripheral and visceral), Aortic dissection
- Chemotherapy access, Chronic venous reflux, Deep venous thrombosis, Diabetes
- Hemodialysis access, Intestinal ischemia, Leg ulcers, Lymphedema, Peripheral and Visceral artery disease
⇒ A/Prof Ravi Huilgol
A/Prof Ravi Huilgol is a vascular and endovascular surgeon with appointments at St Vincent’s Public and Private Hospital Sydney, Macquarie University Private Hospital, Wagga Wagga Base Hospital and Calvary Private Hospital Wagga Wagga. He is Conjoint Associate Professor of Vascular Surgery at Notre Dame University Australia.
- Aortic aneurysms, Peripheral arterial disease and Carotid artery disease
- Kidney transplantation, and Surgical management of Hyper hydrosis and Thoracic outlet syndrome
Phone: (02) 8382 6250
⇒ Dr Isuru Nammuni
Dr Isuru Nammuni is a Specialist Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon with clinical and academic appointments across Sydney and regional NSW. He specialises in the surgical and medical management of vascular diseases with a special interest in minimally invasive endovascular surgery. Dr Nammuni is best vascular surgeon western sydney. Dr Nammuni works in a number of public and private hospitals across Sydney, and sees patients in Sydney and in Dubbo in Central Western NSW.
- Minimally invasive management of aortic aneurysms
- endovascular management of complex peripheral vascular disease
- Conventional surgical treatment and minimally invasive management of Varicose Veins including laser
Phone: (02) 9550 4733